Untitled Document
Community Services Agency Logo
In-home Supportative Services
  • In Home Supportive Services

Couple with health care worker

What's New?

FLSA update: Decision on December 22, 2014 and January 14, 2015 by the U.S. District Court in Washington D.C. halts IHSS Overtime Notice to Recipient and Providers [PDF]

What is IHSS about?

There are aged, blind or disabled persons who are limited in their ability to care for themselves and cannot live safely at home without help. This includes those who would be able, with help, to return to their home from a hospital, nursing home or a Board and Care Facility. This help may be provided to eligible persons through In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS).

What Services Are Available?

In-Home Supportive Services provides a wide range of assistance to meet your individual needs and assure that you can live safely at home. You can find more information at IHSS Program Overview and IHSS Authorized Tasks.

Who Is Eligible?

  • Must be aged (65 years or older), blind, or disabled.
  • Unable to live safely at home without help.
  • Must meet financial need.

What Is Financial Need?

If you receive SSI/SSP then you meet the program's financial need requirement. Others may also be eligible, but may need to pay a portion of the cost for services.

To apply for In-Home Supportive Services call 558-2637, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. Your information will be taken over the phone and your case will be assigned to a social worker who will, at a later date, come to your home to conduct a Needs and Risk assessment. If you do not currently have Medi-Cal, a Family Services Specialist will come to your home to assist you with the application process to determine if you are eligible for Medi-Cal.

What is a Needs and Risk Assessment?

The social worker conducts an assessment of the tasks you need assistance with and identifies potential risks based on your medical condition and your living arrangement. The social worker takes into consideration assistance you may be receiving from your family, friends or other available community resources. The needs assessment will determine which services, if any, are needed and how often they need to be provided in order for you to remain safely in your own home. Please note that a Health Care Certificate form SOC 873 IHSS Health Care Certification SOC 873 [PDF] will need to be completed by a licensed health care professional stating the need for IHSS services before IHSS can be approved.

Who Provides the Services?

You may hire a relative or a friend, or find someone new to you. Your social worker's Supportive Services Assistant can also assist you in finding a provider through the Public Authority. For more information, Click here: Public Authority of Stanislaus County

Additional Information:

IHSS Services and Assessment Video

Voluntary Provider Training Curriculum

Your Rights: Asking For A Hearing

Additional FLSA Court Order Information:

Memorandum Opinion 1-14-16

IHSS Media Release 1-15-2014

FLSA order filed 1-14-15


Untitled Document
© Copyright Stanislaus County all rights reserved
Untitled Document